Gospel Hall Melbourne Church is the oldest evangelical Chinese church in Melbourne as well as in the whole of Australia. It originated during the Victorian Gold Rush era and has a history of over 150 years. It was the fruit of the Wesley Mission to spread the gospel to Chinese miners. In 1872, a Chinese church was planned and the building was established on July 14.
The first sect of the Methodist (US-Israel Association), James Moy Ling started the mission and related ministry in the city centre with Gospel Hall as the base. As the number of Chinese congregations increased after joining the Uniting Church in 1977, the church has since moved its Sunday Worship to Wesley Church on 148 Lonsdale St.
Till this day, Gospel Hall continues to be a place of worship for English congregations, prayer meetings, evangelical workshops etc. at its original birthplace in Chinatown. The church symbolises the past and present glorious works of God and will remain a blessing for the City of Melbourne.
14 July 1872
A establishment of a Chinese Church in the City of Melbourne was agreed upon. With the intent of spreading the gospel to Chinese minors during the Gold Rush.
Gospel Hall Melbourne building was established later that year, located at 196 Little Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000.
Due to the increase in the Chinese congregation, Gospel Hall Melbourne joined with Wesley Church located on 148 Lonsdale St. Since then, Sunday morning services have taken place there.
Gospel Hall Melbourne celebrated their 150th Anniversary.